Since Sydney is turning 7 in a couple of months, Sheldon and I decided that having training wheels on her bike was no longer an option. Actually, Sheldon took her wheels off a long time ago, but she won't ride it. She always opts for the scooter. Well, the scooter is now broken and I am refusing to buy her a new one so she will learn to ride her bike.
Today was a beautiful day so Sheldon and I took the girls to a park with a walking trail and lots of grass so Sydney could learn to ride her bike. Piece of cake, right? Wrong! Sheldon gave her the pep talk, walked her through the steps of keeping it steady, held on to the back and started pushing her along and Sydney screamed BLOODY murder while sticking her feet out to the side and off the pedals. Keep in mind, this walking trail has houses that back up to it. I'm pretty sure we had all of their attention and that at least one of them was dialing 911.
After an hour, Sheldon finally got her to pedal. And then.....she fell into a plant and was done. There was no talking her or bribing her into getting back on. One fall and she was done. Maybe another day. Teaching a child how to ride a bike rates about the same on my list as potty training. It sucks!
6 comments:
Amen! It does suck. It took Kobee TONS of frustrating practice...and he still ran into several parked cars on our street on the way to school a couple of times. Thankful he didn't leave any marks!
Logan did the same thing. He got made that we took off the training wheels and opted for the scooter. He eventually decided to give it another try after some pressure from his counsins who are his age. Good luck!
Oh poor girl!! I hope she gets the hang of it. And yet another thing I get to look forward to with the girls:-)
Go Sydney!!!You can do it. I can not tell you how many times Grandpa ran to the side of your Dad on the Salem Highway until he learned to ride his bike.
Love you!!
Grandma
Wow...I'm surprised you don't have that girl padded up in bubble wrap...haha. She's had more than enough bumps and bruises for the year.
I know I had to "biff it" a few times before I got the hang of riding a bike. If only she had a Fourth of July parade as motivation.
when my mom was teaching me to ride she pushed me down a hill and yelled "pedal or fall!"...it made me so mad. but that's how i learned :)
your favorite niece
Post a Comment