


As most everyone knows, Disneyland is offering a free day at Disneyland to those who give a day of service to one of their chosen organizations. Now who would pass up free tickets to Disneyland for their whole family?
Our family signed up to help clean Lake Elementary's school grounds. It is an older school that is required to keep its playground gates open to the public on the weekends to double as a city park. However, the city does not help in cleaning the grounds, thus leaving the poor custodians with a huge workload.
Since there were about 75 other volunteers along with us, we were broken into groups. Our group was assigned the playground area. We were asked to scrub the playground equipment, pick up the trash (tons of broken glass!), and rake leaves. I was so proud of my girls for not complaining once and for working hard the whole time. We were only scheduled to help from 9 - 12, but some adults were sitting down on the benches after 30 minutes of being there. One lady asked if she could go home early! Taylor was disgusted with the lady and asked me if they were still going to give the lady a ticket.
My kids lit up when the news cameras started following us around. They kept yelling, "Mom, they're filming us!" I think the camera man was getting annoyed. :) We did get our 2 seconds of fame on the news that night, however. It really did feel good to get out and serve as a family and to earn our next family vacation.
5 comments:
Hey we are doing that also... except I'm just making those tie blankets - much easier than day labor! That will be so fun!
What a great experience for you kdis. I need to do my day of service still. My sister sent me an email - now I just need to do it!
Woot-Woot!
Good Job! It looks like it was worth the time for the tickets. Sweet deal:) April
I need to do that. What a great idea!
That's awesome! You guys are so cute.
Post a Comment