Friday, July 25, 2008

Pain Vs. Vanity


Sheldon got a phone call at work a couple of days after Taylor's 8th birthday. "Hi Dad, You know how I am 8 now and you said that I was old enough to make some of my own choices?" Sheldon said "yes" and then took a big gulp. "You know how I got some of my own birthday money?" Another gulp from Sheldon. "Can I get my ears pierced?" He sighed a bit of relief and told her that he would talk to her about it later that night. When he talked to her about it, he said she could get her ears pierced as long as she only got one hole like the Prophet has asked us to do. Taylor looked really upset and said "One hole! That will look dumb!" Sheldon's eyes bugged out of his head "What?!?". Taylor thought he meant she could only get one of her ears pierced.

I took Taylor to Wal Mart(never thought I would approve of getting her ears pierced here!), but a couple of different friends said they did a better job than Claire's boutique. It didn't take me long to realize that Taylor wanted her ears pierced so she can wear some big funky dangly earrings. Some of the hoops she was picking out were bigger than her head. She got so mad when I showed her the ear piercing stud selection. None of them were fabulous enough for her. :) We settled on some faux diamond studs after bantering back and forth for a bit. (I also told her the big dangly earrings would stretch her earlobes out and make them sag....mother of the year here)


I honestly thought that Taylor would chicken out when she saw the piercing gun. This is my child who the doctor had to have 3 nurses hold her down when she got her Kindergarten booster shots. She screamed so loud the doctor came back in the room and told us that she was scaring all of the other kids in the waiting room and she needed to settle down. She is so obstinate if she thinks there is some kind of pain involved in anything. However, I guess her vanity won over her fear of pain. She did get mad at the lady piercing her ears and wouldn't look at her when she was done. She was also mad at me that I had told her that it didn't hurt too much. However, when she looked in the mirror and saw her shimmering earrings, she got over it quickly. Now she sports pony tails almost every day in hopes that someone will notice her earrings. :)

8 comments:

Krista said...

Why was she mad at the lady doing the piercing? Oh, the fun stuff we get to do with girls!!

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

I'm so excited for her other big hallmarks . . . her first bra, her first period, and giving birth of course. Good Luck sis.

Angela said...

Congrats Taylor on getting your ears pierced. Glad your dad allowed 2 holes instead of one. Jen, good luck with all the other choices she will make.

Lydia said...

This story reminded me of our wise choice of getting our upper ears pierced and how we couldn't even lay our heads on the pillows that night due to the serious pain.

I can only imagine Sheldon's reaction to Taylor's opening lines. That is too cute. I love the one hole upset! I can't wait to see the pictures of the many earring purchases.

P.S. My mom wants to know where you found that "darling" blog background.

jenorme said...

UGH! I can't believe we did that. I still have the bump where it was pierced. Such rebels!

I got the blog template from matiekay.blogspot.com A friend gave me the website after I complained that my blog was so blah!

jenorme said...

Hey, Lydia...I can't get on your blog anymore. Please don't deprive me of my daily dose of your blog. I love it!

Geneva said...

I love the journaling....hope you copy it into her journal its a great summary of this event!

Anonymous said...

taylor's face is priceless. oh the pain of being a girl.