Monday, April 20, 2009

My bologna has a first name.........



Am I alone when I say that I was raised on bologna, Kraft cheese singles, and white Wonder bread?

"Can I have a pepper turkey and colby jack cheese sandwich?" This is what I hear from my kids when I say I am making them sandwiches for lunch. Occasionally, I torture Taylor with a PB and honey sandwich.

Recently, Sheldon and I have decided to only buy groceries with cash and leave the debit cards at home in an attempt to stick to our grocery budget (yes, it is killing me!). The other day my girls and I stopped at the store to grab a few things for the week, but I only had $10 in my wallet at the time. One of things I needed on my list was lunch meat. We headed to the deli counter to put in our usual request of 1 lb peppered turkey breast (6.99 a lb). As I thought to myself that the lunch meat will take most of my cash, I passed by a cooler filled with bologna-turkey bologna- $1. The look on my girls' faces was that of extreme horror as I placed the bologna in the cart and turned away from the deli counter. Actually, I think Taylor dry heaved as she asked me, "WHAT IS BOWL-OGG-NUH?". I then told my girls that I grew up eating bologna sandwiches and loved them (totally lied...at least about the loving them part).

Later that day, my girls finally agreed to try to the bologna sandwiches, but their dad was not so willing. His actual response when offered the tasty delight was, "Uhm, I think I am just going to have a bowl of cereal for lunch today." He changed his mind when I told him that I would take the bologna and decorate his truck with it if he didn't eat one. ;)

How did my husband and kids like the dreaded bologna sandwiches? Sheldon's sandwich was bearable since he chased it with a Pepsi, but my girls actually liked them. Taylor wanted to pack a cold lunch today just so she could have a bologna sandwich. What?! However, I can just hear her saying to her friends, "My mom said that we don't have enough money to buy turkey anymore so we need to eat bologna now." Ha!

Yes, I know that bologna has very little nutritional value and I won't be feeding it to my kids on a regular basis and probably never to my husband again. However, now my kids can join the crowd that says that they had to eat bologna sandwiches growing up. It's a good thing Spam wasn't on sale that day. :0 YUCK! Never!

11 comments:

Megan said...

Ha ha! That's hilarious! You know it really would have made my night if I'd come home and seen bologna all over Sheldon's truck. :-)

Lydia said...

LOL! You are so funny. I could actually taste the bologna in my mouth when as I read your post. Wonder bread and bologna...the good ol' days.

Debbie and Cory said...

Way too funny! I wonder if I have ever feed my kids bologna??? You are a killer bargain shopper holy moly :)I need lessons from you!

Brandy said...

You crack me up! Did you ever have to take "homemade" fruit leather in your lunch when all the other kids got the fancy store bought fruit roll-ups!? Awh, the good ol' days. My mom would even roll it up so it was "like" the store bought stuff, but somehow, that didn't fool us.

Anonymous said...

Sheldon's favorite sandwich was bologna and ketchup. Somewhere he got a taste of the "good life" and vowed to never eat those things his parents made him eat. My granddaughters will be like me. When I would go to friends' homes and they had orange juice I always thought they were rich because my Mom told me it cost too much for us to have often.

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

Those must have been the Malad days, because I have never had a blogna sandwich. Just be sure if I have to watch your house ever, that you get the peppered turkey.

PS - I can totally see Taylor explaining to everyone why she is eating bowl-og-na.

Kim said...

I had the EXACT SAME experience about six months ago! So funny! My girls totally love it now, and Maddie always wants it in her lunch. I'm so grossed out just by pulling a piece off of the stack. What the heck is really in that crap anyway?!?

White Tank Mountain Sisters said...

Um, I think I'm with Sheldon on this one...the only person in this house that would be dry heaving is me. Although I can clearly remember eating bologna and cheese, (yes the wrapped kraft singles BEFORE they were made with real milk) I assure you those days are far behind me.

Angela said...

I am laughing so hard. I can totally see Taylor saying something like that to her friends. How our taste change when we get older.

Geneva said...

I always wanted to be one of those kids....it was whole wheat bread and adam's natural pb at my house only. It was the ongoing neighborhood joke that you didn't go to the Jackson's house for snack time lest you get fed something like wheat germ....my mom was a bit of a health food nut! We craved such things as wonder bread...but now all I crave is her awesome homemade bread. Its funny how things change!!

LillyBug Jewelry and Accessories said...

this totally cracks me up!!! i just went through the same exact thing! i dreaded putting the bologna in the cart and felt like a horrible mom for feeding this to my sweet babies. to my surprise my children LOVED it! i figured i ate it throughout my childhood and i turned out okay! i think?!?!?! =0)