
Many of you already know that Sheldon and I were invited to attend the firearms training institute, Front Sight, this past weekend by our good friends, Megan and Dennis Rhodes. The looks I received from people when I told them where we were going have been entertaining. Some just looked at me strangely and I could see the words, "backwoods rednecks" going through their minds. Others who know my coordination skills looked really worried for me and for anyone going to be near me with a gun in my hands.
Sheldon and I along with about 30 other of the Rhodes' family and friends enrolled in a 4 day defensive handgun course at Front Sight just outside of Pahrump, Nevada. Those who know me, know that I have been terrified of guns my whole life and have never touched a real gun. The idea of attending this class was quite intimidating for me. Without making this blog entry several pages long, I will just sum it up by saying that it was an AMAZING experience for me. Sheldon has handled guns most of his life and was blown away by the things that they taught in this class. The range masters were beyond patient with me which was a huge relief because I had originally pictured myself being yelled at by some arrogant,crazed militant range master or being forced to do some absurd amount of push ups for all of my screw ups. :) The range masters were just the opposite and I gained a level of confidence with guns that I never thought I could have EVER in my life.
During one drill, the range mater yelled to you and asked you for a name of a loved one that you would like to protect. Sheldon yelled, "Jen" in his native Idahoan tongue and the range master wrote "J-I-M" on the hostage target. Everyone laughed because Sheldon said that he was going to have a lot of explaining to do with his wife when I saw that he was saving his beloved Jim. The good news is that Sheldon rescued Jim (a.k.a. Jen) without any problem. I has never been out shooting with Sheldon and I was so impressed to see him accurately hit his targets in each drill. It's good to know my man can protect his family and Jim. ;)


Don't worry, I won't be "packing heat" just yet, but I do have a lot more confidence in loading and firing a handgun in order to protect my family, if ever needed.
Thanks, Dennis and Megan, for a life changing experience this weekend. I want to get back out there again soon. Watch out! ;)



6 comments:
I got a good laugh out of Sheldon saving Jim. That's awesome (I know I'm admitting my age with that term) you were able to have such a great experience. Jeff and I need to do something like this. Both of us are absolutely clueless with self-defense.
It was a ton of fun having you out there! I'm still impressed with how well you did, especially having never really touched a gun before. I'm so glad you had a great experience, and it would be awesome if you get back out there. It won't be long before you're a gun-wielding fanatic yourself. :-)
That actually sounds like fun! My dad would bring his guns when we would go camping as kids and let us shoot at cans. It was always fun. But hey, we "backwood rednecks" have to stick up for ourselves, right!
Jen,
A little scary for me to see you with a gun in your hands! Just because I gave you ALL those frames to paint doesn't mean you had to learn "How" to use a gun! Just kidding But a huge THANK-YOU!!!! And I am glad u had fun shooting! April
I have to say I am very impressed on you shooting a gun. I was just like you once until Spencer took me shooting and I was hooked. This place looks really cool. I am glad Sheldon saved "Jim".
How fun!! We all never did go shooting! I haven't gone since before Makenna was born. I liked shooting the smaller ones but not the big ones!! I'm glad you finally got to shoot!Ü
Post a Comment